Walkie talkies are hand-held, portable two-way radios which transmit and receive signals from one party to another. These radios are wireless communicators that use radio waves to transmit messages and works on a battery. Wondering how far can walkie talkie reach and can you use it like cellphones.
They acted as a great way of communication before cellphones became common as their range is limited. But, Walkie-talkies are still used by military personnel, police officials, and for public events. These are even used for cruise ships, road trips, camping, hiking, and other activities.
How far can Walkie Talkie reach?
The range of the walkie-talkie depends upon several factors. Thus, it becomes hard to analyze how far a walkie-talkie can reach. The factors that determine the maximum range of walkie-talkie include output power, transmission frequency, and antenna type and size. The maximum range a walkie-talkie can reach is between 20 to 35 miles depending on the manufacturing type.
Below is an idea of how far a walkie talkie can reach in a particular situation/area.
- In the city, it can range between 1-5 miles.
- In mountains, it can range between 3-25 miles. This depends on the peak or valley of the mountain.
- In the ocean, walkie-talkies can range between 4-6 miles.
- And in forest areas, the walkie-talkie can range between 1-5 miles., depending on the tree density.
Characteristics of a walkie talkie-
- Walkie-talkies are designed for short-range communications.
- These are easy-to-carry devices.
- These are suited for terrains or environments where there are network issues.
- It provides an open standard interface which is useful in emergencies.
Technical features of a walkie talkie-
- Walkie-talkies are battery-powered. The battery life is up to 20 hours.
- Walkie-talkies weigh between 100-200g.
- They have a half-duplex channel. This indicates that only one person can use the device to communicate at a time.
- The components of a walkie-talkie include a microphone, battery, antenna, LCD, light indicator, speaker, circuitry, and Push-to-talk button.
- They operate on specific radio frequencies using radio waves.
- Walkie-talkies have multiple channels. This helps to switch to other frequencies if one is being used.
How to communicate using a walkie-talkie? –
How far a walkie-talkie can reach also depends on the technique with which it is used.
- Charge the batteries and insert them in the radio for better transmission of the signal.
- Check the transmission range and adjust to a channel where you receive the maximum range.
- To communicate with the other party, press the talk button.
- Keep the walkie-talkie two inches from your mouth for a clear voice.
- To hear the response, release the button.
- Adjust the volume and light on the screen, if needed.
FAQs about walkie-talkies-
- Are walkie-talkie safe? – Yes.
- Are walkie-talkies safe for children?- Yes, there are walkie-talkies especially made for children.
- Does one need a license to operate a walkie-talkie?- Yes. For operating FRS/GMRS, you need an FCC license.
- How far a walkie-talkie can reach?- 20-35 miles.
- Are there walkie-talkies that are water-resistant?- Yes.
Best walkie talkies available in the market –
- Motorola Talkabout T800- For more details, click here.
- Midland’s GXT1000VP4- For more details, click here.
- DeWalt DXFRS800- For more details, click here.
- Uniden MHS75 VHF marine radio- For more details, click here.
- Retevis RT21- For more details, click here.
- Cobra walkie-talkie ACXT1035R FLT- For more details, click here.