Is Urban Decay Cruelty-Free?
Urban Decay is a famous makeup brand and it is most famous for its bright eyeshadow palettes. However, is Urban Decay cruelty-free? Are you wondering if they test their products on animals before selling them to you?
When is a company called Cruelty-Free?
In 2021, a company is called cruelty free if they fulfill the below-mentioned criteria-
- If they do not test their ingredients or products on any animals.
- None of their suppliers test on animals.
- If they do not let any other company test on animals on behalf of them.
- A company should not sell in a nation where it is mandatory to test on animals.
We had to conduct our very own research and we came upon the conclusion for the question is Urban Decay cruelty-free? The answer is yes, it meets these requirements and hence is a makeup brand that is cruelty-free.
Company’s Self Declaration and Policy
Urban Decay has since its inception maintained that it will always be a cruelty-free brand. It’s commitment towards this goal is clearly stated on its website as follows:
“ANIMAL TESTING POLICY
Urban Decay is a cruelty-free brand and is committed to ending animal testing. We do not test our products on animals, nor do we allow others to test on our behalf. Additionally, we require our suppliers to certify that the raw materials used in the manufacture of our products are not tested on animals. Our Brand is certified by PETA as cruelty-free.”
However, not all of Urban Decay’s product are vegan. To check all the Vegan and cruelty-free products visit here.
Certifications to prove a brand is Cruelty-Free?
There are various organizations that provide proper certifications to companies all over the world such as
- Leaping Bunny and
- Choose Cruelty-Free.
PETA and Leaping Bunny are the most commonly used certification.
How did we research is Urban Decay cruelty-free? We looked into the brand’s status in the cruelty-free certified list.
Which Certification does Urban Decay hold?
Is Urban Decay is PETA Certified?
- Urban Decay was certified as cruelty-free by PETA. The details of the certification is available here.
Is Urban Decay Leaping Bunny Certified?
- Leaping Bunny revoked its certification in 2012.
- The statement it issued was:
“We received the news from Urban Decay/Hard Candy that they have chosen to sell their products in China, which, due to animal testing requirements in that country, will cause them to be in violation of the Leaping Bunny Standard. Therefore, we can no longer certify them as being cruelty-free.”
- Urban Decay however is not currently selling its product in China. Also the above revocation was in 2012. So we investigated further.
- On Urban Decay’s website in the Commitment section only the PETA certification is mentioned. However, if cruelty-free is searched in the FAQ section it mentions that all its products are Leaping Bunny certified.
- However, on the Leaping Bunny website Urban Decay’s name is absent.
Cruelty-Free Checklist for Urban Decay
|1.||Are Urban Decay products tested on animals?||NO||Urban Decay Website|
|2.||Does Urban Decay suppliers test on animals?||NO||Urban Decay Website|
|3.||Does Urban Decay allow others to test on animals on its behalf?||NO||Urban Decay Website|
|4.||Does Urban Decay sell in countries where animal testing is mandatory like China?||NO||Urban Decay Website|
|5.||Is Urban Decay PETA certified?||YES||PETA Website|
|6.||Is Urban Decay Leaping Bunny certified?||Unsure||Leaping Bunny Website|
|7.||Is Urban Decay’s parent company L’oreal cruelty-free?||No||L’oreal Website|
PETA certifications are amazing but they are not very thorough when they vet the brand. Leaping Bunny does the most thorough vetting before providing these certifications. PETA’s certifications are not trusted by many users and hence we researched a bit more.
Urban Decay seems to be a cruelty-free brand and does not commit to any kinds of animal testing. They also ask their suppliers to provide certifications that the raw materials Urban decay purchases have not been tested on animals. Urban Decay has PETA as well as The Leaping Bunny Program (CCIC) certifications now.
The Leaping Bunny certification is not mentioned anywhere on their website, but Urban Decay has disclosed in the past that they have the certification.