All of us use social media in some form or the other. Have you ever wondered how does social media work? Well, let’s find out the answer but before that, it will be better to understand what is social media.
Any digital tool that allows users to create and share content with the public quickly is referred to as social media. Social networks cover a wide range of websites and applications. Twitter, for example, focuses on sharing links and short text messages. Others, like Instagram and TikTok, are built to make photo and video sharing more accessible.
The fact that social networks are broad and relatively uncensored is what sets them apart. While many social media companies place restrictions on what can be shared, such as removing images of violence or nudity but compared to other traditional media forms, such as newspapers, radio stations, they have far fewer restrictions.
Before understanding how does social media work, let’s dig out some facts about social media.
Interesting Facts About Social Media
- There are over 3.8 billion social media users worldwide.
- New social media apps like TikTok and Clubhouse appear every year, joining the ranks of established social networks like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram.
- The number of people using social media in the United States alone is expected to reach 257 million by 2023 from 225.61 in 2021.
- Users of social media are, on average, younger, according to the Pew Research Center. Nearly 90% of people who used social media are between the age group of 18 and 29. Furthermore, these users are more educated and wealthy.
- Social media began as a tool to connect with friends and family. However, businesses quickly adopted it to reach out to customers using this popular new communication method.
- The ability to connect and share information with anyone on the planet or with many people at once is the power of social media.
How does social media work?
Social Media is essentially word of mouth multiplied infinity times. It combines the power of word of mouth spread of information with the power of the internet. So, each and every person on social media has the power to connect to each and every other person in this world.
Imagine yourself living in a village where everyone knows everyone’s secrets. Well! The power of social media is such that it has reduced the world into a global village. Whenever a social media content goes viral, i.e, one person’s post shared by infinite number of people, it is within the knowledge of the whole world in a matter of seconds.
Niti-Gritty of Social Media
Anyone knowing the Internet can create a social media account. Afterward, they can use this account to share whatever content they want, and anyone who visits your page or profile will see it.
The role of these tools varies because social media encompasses so many different types of websites and applications. On the other hand, most social networking sites user are on it to share personal information or updates with friends and family, advocate their beliefs or to market their products or services.
You can begin by creating a profile, which usually entails providing a name and email address, or sometimes even a phone number, as in WhatsApp.
Users can create and share content after creating a profile. An Instagram user with a new account, for example, can take a photo and post it to their profile with a caption. Social media users can find other users whose content they want to follow or comment on and create content for their profiles. A user can “follow” another user, add him as a “friend,” or “subscribe” to another user’s page.
Social Media Algorithm
Social media companies use algorithms that essentially decide how does social media work. This algorithm determines what content appears and what order it appears based on a user’s profile data. “Feeds,” which allow users to scroll through content on social media sites, are an essential part that the algorithm considers while displaying the content. Content from “tracked” users, as well as paid entities promoting your content, will be included in the feed.
The bottom line
Social media has become an integral part of our daily lives. Everyone may not understand how does social media work, but they do use it. It is in fact one of the greatest supplier of information that we know and use in our day to day lives.